Honors Programs & Services
District Honors Programs and Services (DHPS)
CAC offers challenge, support, and benefits to our academically exceptional students through several programs and services, including:
- The Honors Program, the highly acclaimed two-year program for Honors students.
- Phi Theta Kappa, the international honor society that promotes scholarship, fellowship, leadership, and service.
- All-Arizona/All-USA Academic Teams, the scholarship awarded to the six students–two from each campus–who are selected to represent CAC on this prestigious team.
The Honors Program will be going through a program revision and at this time have decided it is in the best interest of the program to halt acceptance of new students into the program for fall 2021. We want to provide our students the best possible education and service. We will post updates as to when we will start accepting applications once again on our web page.
NOTE: Current HNR204 students will be able to complete HNR205 this fall and may complete seminar courses this fall 2021/spring 2022.
Thank you for your support of the Honors Program and our students.
Mary Kay Gilliland, Ph.D.
Vice President of Academic Affairs, Central Arizona College
“I think the Honors program and all it has to offer is great. The program has been one of my highlights here at CAC. The professor, Dr. Johnson, motivates students to expand their horizons in a variety of ways. I love the class and highly recommend it.”
The Honors Program at Central Arizona College enables students to pursue a topic of passion and add new meaningful research to that subject. Students are encouraged and taught how to best utilize their critical thinking skills and participate in active discussions. My experience with the Honors Program was nothing less than spectacular. It was a great opportunity to enrich my academic experience through research, presentation, conference, discussion, and networking. Ultimately, the program has springboarded me forward into the Barrett Honors College at Arizona State University and given me the necessary skill set to feel confident and prepared. The connections I made through this program will be with me the rest of my life. This program is life changing, do not pass it up!
For most people, the Honors Program is an experience, but for me, it is a lifestyle. Of course, it began as an experience for me too, until I realized that what was being imparted into me by Dr. Johnson, Professor Heather Moulton, and other instructors/mentors who worked with me on my projects was something that would forever be a part of my life. The most important thing that I learned from them is the difference between knowledge and wisdom: Knowledge is what we commit to our intellect as our understanding of the world around us increases, but wisdom is the application of that knowledge to real life situations. I am using that wisdom today, every day, to accomplish my goals and dreams. That is how the Honors Program is still working for me even after I have graduated from it.
Vision of CAC’s District Honors Programs and Services
Honors education is a community of District Honors Programs and Services students, faculty, staff, community members and other stakeholders—all dynamic partners. Built on a foundation of mutual support, the honors community is dedicated to academic rigor, high standards, ethical behavior and the pursuit of personal and professional growth for CAC’s academic environment.
Mission of District Honors Programs & Services
The mission specific to District Honors Programs & Services includes the commitment to:
- Encourage the passionate pursuit of learning.
- Promote academic excellence throughout CAC’s environment through continuous quality improvement.
- Develop a comprehensive and integrated structure for current and future District Honors Programs & Services students.
- Articulate the Honors Program courses to universities.
- Challenge students to do and be their best.
- Facilitate student skill in writing, presentation, and academic research.
- Foster a learner-centered culture that demonstrates the vision of District Honors Programs & Services.
- Sponsor opportunities at the local and state level that foster and highlight student academic achievement and promote honors education and CAC.
- Develop resources and opportunities for CAC students for collaborative work, employment, and scholarships at Arizona’s state-supported universities.
- Provide opportunities for students to learn through experience and exposure to scholarly and cultural activities and events.
- Administer District Honors Programs & Services scholarships.
- Manage the District Honors Programs & Services budget, in collaboration with CAC staff.
- Provide small classes where students receive one on one instruction with Honors Professors.